The first foundation of Ștefan cel Mare, Putna Monastery was sanctified on September 3, 1470, and was erected on the site of an ancient hermitage of the sec. XIII – XIV. Today, in the museum of the monastery there are exposed manuscripts, objects of worship and ceramics from the medieval period. The collection of Byzantine-style embroidery is one of the most beautiful in the world.
In the beginning, the monastery was destined to become a princely necropolis. In the church were buried alongside Ștefan cel Mare (July 1504), his son Bogdan (ruler from 1504 to 1517), his nephew Ștefăniță (ruler from 1517 to 1527) and other members of the Mușat dynasty. The Putna Monastery initially had the interior and exterior paintings on gold. Because of landslides and invasion of the Cossacks, the church was rebuilt between 1653 and 1662.
In 2001, on the 10th of July – the same day when Ștefan cel Mare laid the foundation stone of the monastery in 1466, the church was repaired. On July 4, 1466, Ștefan cel Mare chose the place where the Putna Monastery Church was to be built, throwing the bow on the Dealul Crucii(Cross Hill). Six days later, on July 10, 1466, according to Putnas chronicle, the building of the Putna Monastery Church was started and it was finished in 1469.
How to get to Putna Monastery?
Suceava-Gura Humorului – Frasin – Mănăstirea Doroteia – Mănăstirea Moldovița – Pasul Palma – village Sucevița – village Marginea – Putna